Reflection of 6015-1

Learning Theories with Dr. Anthony Artino

The most striking thing I encountered about how people learn is the need to increase self-confidence in the learning process.  It seems so logical, but I never really considered it as a requirement of successful achievement.  Even in the classroom, I have always been so focused on the teaching the huge volume of material that is required that I never considered the true benefit of building in confidence-builders. 

As I consider my own learning process, I realize the benefit I receive by confidence builders.  In this class for example, the encouragement of classmates in discussion posts has boosted my overall confidence in being able to achieve my goals as an instructional designer.  I clearly remember reading discussion posts of peers this class for the first time.  I was so impressed by the degree of knowledge and professionalism displayed I felt I had made a huge mistake.  I was questioning my ability to succeed at such a lofty goal especially at my age.  Yet as I strived to meet the expectations of the rubric, submit my assignments on time, and hope for the best, I began receiving positive feedback on my input.  My confidence began to build and researching topics became a doable challenge.  The one thing I never considered as important in the learning process turned out to be the most important part of my learning.   

I learned that cognitivism and connectivism are two theories of learning that I feel are most beneficial in overall learning for most students.  Connectivism is something I knew nothing about yet believe is essential in the learning process.  It is through obtaining many pieces of information and sharing with others for different perspectives that a deeper appreciation for learning is obtained. Blogs have proven to be wonderful source for the exchange of information on many topics.  The only downside (if it really is one) is that I tend to come away with more questions than answers. 

Through my education in this class I have come to understand that Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences is just one idea in the way people learn.  In the beginning of the class I thought that learning styles were the only predominant way to classify the way students learn. Now I have gained a better understanding of the many ways people learn including myself.  I have come to better appreciate educational technology with its many opportunities to increase learning and variables to look for in determining its true worth.  I have also come to see the true importance in providing motivation to students in the learning process.  The most important thing I have learned is how the utilization of various theories combined in educational technology can provide that much needed motivation and encouragement that students need to get the most from a learning experience. 

I look forward to using my new understanding of the Adult Learning Theory to improve my ideas in the development of training programs in the future.  Basing instructional planning on how adults learn will certainly result in more successful employees for my clients and increase my potential for a brighter future.

One thought on “Reflection of 6015-1